Friday, June 09, 2006

Believing In The Dream

If you've been an entrepreneur for any length of time you've likely had the conversation with someone: "When are you going to get the big break?" What that person (usually a spouse or other family member) is really asking is: "When are you going to make some real money? You've been pursuing this entrepreneurial dream for.." "..years and you still haven't made that million dollars you say you're going to make. What's the problem?"

I said I was going to stop dealing with those questions because in one way there's no point in talking with someone who is trapped in the myopia of low expectations but that's not true of everyone, I've come to realize. Some people just don't or can't see it because they exist in a world where limitless possibilities are a pipedream. They can't see themselves having the opportunity or ability to put themselves in the position to own a successful business, purchase a big home, buy that flashy luxury car.

I've been reading some of my old columns from the 1990s. Thirteen years ago, I think I was somewhat more willing to address the issues and doubts of people who didn't believe in the dream. I'm trying to find that energy again. So until I do, I'll be posting some of my old columns and sharing with those of you who weren't readers in the 1990s the thoughts and ideas that I shared with aspiring entrepreneurs in those days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home