Monday, May 22, 2006

The Opportunity Challenge - Why I'll Be Offering 10% Of My Million-Dollar Project To Five New Startup Businesses

At various stages in my life I've been provided with opportunities and resources, and I've generally had some positive experiences with people whom I've met and worked with who offered me those opportunities. I had a good academic record in high school, though I can now admit to Brother Ciepley at St. Ignatius that I probably could have done better. (I hope I spelled your name right, Brother Ciepley). (Short story: After I'd won a rather prestigious scholarship competition in high school, Brother Ciepley criticized me for having never worked up to my full potential in high school. I disagreed at the time but looking back, 35 years later, I'd have to say my college experiences proved that I didn't have the work ethic and study habits in those days. Hopefully, I've improved on those habits a bit in the ensuing years.)

Most people who achieve success in business endeavors, academia, sports, entertainment and other fields benefit, I believe, from an elaborate and powerful support system that forms around them over time. We all have heard about the importance of mentors who share experiences and help you avoid the roadblocks and pitfalls, who introduce you to other resourceful people and open doors for you. I've always had a problem with the mentorship concept because I believe that each person's life journey is unique, and in particular for successful people, influenced by factors they can't easily quantify or explain.

But what I believe is true is that for every successful person, there was a time and a moment when they got a life-changing break, and usually if they are honest, they know when that moment occurred and can tell you when it was. Someone stepped up and offered something - money, advice, access to a resource, an introduction to a powerful or influential person - that changed the game for that person and started them on the pathway to great success and accomplishment.

Many years ago, on a very popular television program, "The Millionaire", a mysterious figure whose never revealed his identity would send his assistant to give randomly chosen people a tax-free cashier's check for $1 million. The recipient of course would struggle with how to deal with such a large and unexpected gift and would learn a moral lesson about money not being everything. The show's premise really, I think, influenced such programs as the MacArthur Foundation Genius Grant awards, Ted Forstmann's philanthrophy with college scholarships for children, and even shows like "American Idol". The point of these shows is that the receipt of a large sum of money or other resources can have life-changing impact on the recipient. Of course, many people who receive such gifts don't use them wisely, as the post-lottery experiences of many million dollar winners demonstrates.

But for the most part I believe that "the big break" is an essential part of every successful person's story. That's why, as part of my million-dollar cash generation project, I intend to invest 10% of whatever sum we generate to five start-up business enterprises. If, as I believe it will be, that sum is $1 million, we'll make five (5) investments of $20,000.00 each.

I haven't worked out the details yet; as I do, I'll post them here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home